Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Crazy times

It's crazy sometimes the curve balls life throws at us sometimes. In my previous post, I mentioned how the last several weeks have been really stressful. My good friend and Battalion Chief told me that I was going to need to move to another shift, and with a new crew. I've gotten several calls from ICU and the ER wanting me to work more, My EMS teaching schedule is filling up and a few of my close friends at work are going though some rough times. To top it all off, Life at home was getting crazy, and a few folks under the roof are not too happy with me.

I think all the stress finally got the best of me because I came down with a bad cold the last two days. Today, I spent almost the entire day in bed asleep. (Feeling like crap is not a good feeling) I was thinking the other night that I just can't handle much more and was hoping the good Lord would step in and lighten the load a little.

After dragging myself out of bed this afternoon, I answered the phone and on the other end was our hometeacher. It was nice to hear from him. He's a busy guy, so an afternoon phone call was really unusual for him. We spoke for a few minutes and he asked if I had any plans for tonight. I said no, and mentioned that it was the only night I had off this week. He said great! (I fully expected him to want to come over, since it is the 30th of the month!) Instead, he dropped the bomb. "Great," he said "The stake president would like to meet with you and Lisa tonight at 7pm."

Suddenly, it all made sense in my small mind. I don't understand why I am such a slow learner. I should figure out that anytime life seems to spiral out of control, there is something worthwhile on the horizon. Trial of faith or whatever, I'm glad that the Lord answers prayers. Seems as my seminary teacher all those years ago was right, the tougher life seems to get, the more tightly your grip should be on the iron rod. I'm glad I have had a death grip lately!

Tomorrow will be my first day as a "A" shifter, and since tonight's meeting I feel a little more confident in making the transition. I'll miss all my friends on "C" shift, but now am looking forward to making new friends at station 31. There will be a number of new challenges, but all of a sudden, it doesn't seem so overwhelming.

2 comments:

Shani said...

Bummer on the sickness. I think I am coming down with the same thing. Sniffles, sore throat and pretty much crappy feeling. Bummer.

Unknown said...

Good luck on "A" shift Ray "C" shift will miss you. Enjoyed th times we had at 33 eating PB and J before our National Security Updates.